Today the Fair Work Commission announced the annual wage increase which grants award covered employees a 1.75% pay rate increase, this impacts more than 2.2 million Australians who are paid the minimum wage.
The increase will take the national minimum wage from $740.80 per week to $753.80 per week, overall this is an increase of $13.00 per week.
The decision by the Fair Work Commission took into consideration the impact of Covid 19 and therefore the increase to Awards is to be rolled out in a staggered.
From 1 July 2020
- Essential services such as healthcare, social assistance, teachers and childcare workers
- Cleaning Services Award
From 1 November 2020
- manufacturing and
- a range of other industries
From 1 February 2021
The industries hardest hit by Covid 19 such as
- food services,
- retail and
If the Award you are covered under if not mentioned above, please refer to FWC link reference page 13 onwards which provides details of the Awards and the timings of the relevant increases.
Actions for you.
1. If you have any award based employees - ensure you update your payroll to reflect the new rates.
2. If you are have annualised salary arrangements, or individual flexibility agreements you will need to reconcile these to ensure you are continuing to pay above the award
3. If you are unsure if you are covered by the awards - feel free to reach out.
Disclaimer: The information in this article is general in and intended as a guide. Professional advice should be sought before applying the information. While HR on Call has taken every reasonable care with the update, it does not accept liability for any errors in may contain.